Saturday, October 29, 2011

Blue Hot Gossip's 13 Days of Halloween 2011 - Day 12

Day 12

http://www.archive.org/download/BlueHotGossips13DaysOfHalloween2011-Day12/Blue.Hot.Gossip.13.Days.of.Halloween.Day.12.mp3

I was able to record and edit the final day today which I'll be posting tomorrow. It will be nice getting it finished, although at this point it was good having done it. I can't say at this point I won't do it next year, but it's not looking likely. However, I most likely will have some sort of Halloween episode for one of my podcasts.

For many reasons I've been busier this year than last, at least for the past couple weeks, so it's been harder to find the time to work on the podcast. I keep feeling that I'm posting the episodes late, although I have to remind myself that I'm posting a day early. And I do wait until at least 6pm EST, so that I'm at least after midnight UTC, so it's late in the day when I post.

Mostly this comes about because I'm posting episodes on Mininova and they use to clear their favorites at midnight so that I would give the podcast the most amount of time. But they've changed the way they do things so it doesn't matter. The only downside is that they will only list the most recent on their main page, but those use to searching shouldn't have a problem finding the other episodes.

In comparison, last year's 13 Days have got between about 3,500 and 5,000 downloads an episode. The year before got between about 6,200 and 15,400 downloads per episode. Although they have had one or two years of availability. The highest so far this year is less than 800, which might climb to about 2,000 by next year. But it does seem that the numbers are dropping. Still, Mininova is probably still the best place for a show to get attention. And if I went by direct download numbers I likely won't have even bothered doing one this year. But as the numbers drop it's harder to justify spending the time working on the podcast rather than writing or some other venture. It's sort of similar to the reasons why a TV show gets cancelled.

I have been meaning to do an audiobook or something similar this year but I could never get around to it. I've also been thinking lately about reviving Podcast Ping, although I'm likely to take a slightly different approach. Instead of the spoken portion being all poetry I may include short prose as well. And ratings--I mean download numbers--for it aren't as important since they never were all that high.

It was because Blue Hot Gossip was getting better numbers that I dropped it to work on Blue Hot Gossip, but I wasn't able to get it going as regularly as Podcast Ping and it turned out to require a lot of work for each episode. Podcast Ping episodes are easier to put together and the music for them is easier to come up with. Much of the work for those was writing the poetry, which is why I'll probably use some prose. Besides, I've listened to the old episodes so many times I need new episodes myself to listen to. They do have a certain timeless quality to them. I just can't say at this point how frequent they will be. I would like to do them weekly but I would try to do at least one a month.

2 comments:

Md. Shohel Chowdhury said...

thanks.
Latest Hot news

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, I completely agree with you.. More news here Current News Of India